9/07/2009

Letter to the Editor

I am a former resident of Mt. Sterling but have only attended Wellsville Founder's Day a few times. Luckily, only once did I witness the "Sham Battle". This year I wanted to take my children (Native American children), to the festivities and purposely avoided going during this idiotic display. But, apparently it can't be avoided as the actors involved are a part of the parade also.

I stood and watched, nearly in tears, the participants acting as Indians at the end of the parade with my beautiful children, one in my arms, one in the street gathering candy when she said, "Cool!" as they shot blanks into the air and hooted and hollered like no Indians I've ever heard. I had to correct her and say, "No honey, that's ugly, that's not cool." She was thankfully oblivious to the stupid display at age 4. I can't believe that I am the only one offended at the ugly, racist activities during an othewise wholesome, fun, family oriented Founder's Day celebration in Wellsville. I hope that the new mayor's first point of business is doing away with the practice of people painting their bodies and hooting and hollering like idiots shooting into the air in an effort to remind us that Wellsville is founded on land which was forcibly taken. Is that something to celebrate?

Thank-you,
Brandy Dial

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good point. I've never been to the sham battle either (in fact, I've never been to Founder's Day), but surely they could portray Indians in a dignified and respectful manner.

BTW, have you seen Maverick lately?

Karen Mello Burton said...

I like this, Brandy, and hope you send it in ASAP. Sheesh... is this 2009 we are talking about here?