There have been claims that redheads will be extinct within the next 20 years. Bogus, it turns out, although I won't pretend it didn't make me feel the tiniest bit special. Especially since I don't have the chance to pass on my recessive to my bebes. But today you should find a redhead to love anyway.
Blondes have Farrah Faucet, Brunettes Audrey Hepburn,
We get Ronald McDonald.
And I've been telling my husband for years about my giant, superhuman threshold for pain. It also takes me about 75% more anasthesia than the blonde sitting next to me at the dentist. He scoffed. Then I got some evidence. From Prevention Magazine, "If nature's given you glorious, glamorous red hair, you may also have a secret susceptibility to pain. As a result, you may need 20 percent more anesthesia to be completely knocked out before a medical procedure than either a blonde or a brunette would, according to a study from the University of Louisville. And you might need higher-than-usual amounts of other pain relievers as well." A "susceptibility to pain,"? That's all wrong. But I am right about the anasthetic. I laugh in the face of laughing gas.
It's not Ginger (as our Aussie and Brit friends call us), Day, but after years of comments like, "I'd rather be dead than red on the head," directed in my mother's childhood at her gorgeous strawberry locks, several blistered sunburns from the pale skin associated with red hair, and the inability to wear certain (and many) shades of red or pink, not to mention the one about a certain redheaded stepchild, I want some love today. This is as reasonable a day as I could come up with.
Alas, my kids and their teachers will hold festivities associated with the St. of the day, but in my heart it's all about redheads.
I made a delish dinner in honor of red..ahem..of Patrick, salmon and mashed potatoes with leeks, onions, and garlic. MMMMM, GOOD! Then I attempted "pots of gold" with Jello, but the peach flavor does not turn out the same golden color it displays on the packaging (and who wants to eat lemon jello), so we had pots of pink.
We were a day late with our FHE lesson, but I used this one that a friend e-mailed me last week. What an awesome lesson to teach kids this week!!! My favorite quote is, "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the more I work, the more I have of it!"...Thomas Jefferson
Liv insisted on catching a leprechaun, so this is what we came up with. How ironic that Luke shops at Reams, "the green store" as my chickies call it, and left this in his wake to stir excitement/suspicion in the midget crowd.
On second thought, Luke's handwriting looks an awful lot like mine. Needs work.
And here's the perfect ironic Irish Blessing of the day,
"May your home always be too small to hold all your friends."
Tomorrow is my Bunco day. Therefore all of my living room furniture has been distributed to my kids' rooms.
I saved the St. Patty's day menu for the ladies. Jason doesn't appreciate Corned beef and cabbage in a New England Boiled Dinner, Irish Soda Bread, Frango Mints, and Limeaid Pie. Bring on the addition and the laughter!
I saved the St. Patty's day menu for the ladies. Jason doesn't appreciate Corned beef and cabbage in a New England Boiled Dinner, Irish Soda Bread, Frango Mints, and Limeaid Pie. Bring on the addition and the laughter!


3 comments:
Dear Luke, try this blessing...
May you be in
Heaven a half hour before the
Devil knows you're dead!
HA ;)
Love the note. And all the handy redhead info:) And dinner was delicious!!!
Ryan made a "beat it like a red-headed stepchild" comment in front of my brother's red-headed girlfriend (now his wife). He looked like he was ready to hide his head under the boat we were riding in when she said "Hey. I'm a red-headed stepchild." Good thing she has a sense of humor.
Post a Comment