7/27/2009

Of the People, By the People, For the People

Quote of the Day:
There are many men of principle in both parties in America, but there is no party of principle.Alexis de Tocqueville

Which inspired me to post an e-mail I sent to our book club members the other day (we read teh 5000 Year Leap). Find out who represents you and find out if they represent you...

The fabric of American empire ought to rest on the solid basis of THE CONSENT OF THE PEOPLE. The streams of national power ought to flow immediately from that pure, original fountain of all legitimate authority.
Alexander Hamilton


We missed a lot of you at book club last night! I promised after a lengthy (you know how I am :), and interesting political discussion that I would get everyone information on who our representatives are at the federal level and their contact information.
Also, we agreed that it is reallly difficult to keep up with what is going on at the federal level even though it affects us, especially at this time. Here is a blog I found that is very imformative on the bills being looked at and info on our representatives: http://www.opencongress.org/



Our Congressman (congress passes laws, decides how to spend our money, and shapes foreign policy - I looked it up:), is:

Jason Chaffetz

Washington, DC Office
1032 Longworth HOB Washington, D.C. 20515 Phone: (202) 225-7751Fax: (202) 225-5629

Provo Office
51 S University Ave Suite #317 Provo, UT 84601 Phone: (801) 851-2500Fax: (801) 851-2509

West Jordan Office
3895 West 7800 South Suite 201 West Jordan, UT 84088 Phone: (801) 282-5502

Our Senators (who sign treaties, confirm nominees of judges and high officials, and hold impeachment trials of elected officials), are:

Bennett, Robert F. - (R - UT)
Class III
431 DIRKSEN SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5444
Web Form: bennett.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email

Hatch, Orrin G. - (R - UT)
Class I
104 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5251
Web Form: hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Offices.Cont..

Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.
John Adams

Brandy

1 comments:

Karen Mello Burton said...

You are a good public servant, B! I will certainly check out that website. Thanks!