4/20/2009

More from Cali

I've been trying to think of some more stories about Ft. Ord that I want to include in a personal history, but what I remember are bits and pieces so I'll toss them around here...






I went to a friend's house for a sleepover. I didn't know her very well, but her family was great. Tons of kids. We sat down to eat dinner around a picnic style table and a bowl of soup was placed before me. I have never been a picky eater, so I started right in. I was thoroughly enjoying the meal when I asked what kind of soup we were eating. Her dad informed me it was rabbit stew. One of the children informed me that dear-old-dad had shot it yesterday. I swear I pulled a pellet out of my mouth during dinner, but the mind can play tricks on you (especially one aging like mine). After dinner we spun on the tire swing again and again. The following morning I puked again and again. Cause undetermined.







There was a park down the hill from our house that was situated in a "bowl". I LOVED rollerskating and chipped two teeth in at the bottom of this bowl. Good times :)



My best friend lived in the same duplex we lived in. She was black, her name Jewell Dunlap. Every other Saturday she'd have to spend half the day inside while I paced, to have her hair washed and braided. Those Saturdays were the longest of my life. She and I would put on talent shows incessantly. We'd deliver invitations to the neighbors who'd show up during dinner and we'd jam to Wham!, Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston.

My mom threw a baby shower for our tiny,enormously pregnant, Filipino neighbor, whose water broke during the shower. My mom finally discovered what she thought was a bladder control issue and proceeded with her to the hospital to coach her through delivery since her husband was overseas.



I'll NEVER forget the day I discovered my third grade teacher, Ms. Cornell was a smoker. I was so disappointed in her. :(






I had an enormous ?cloth? poster of Michael Jackson in a white and yellow suit hanging above my bed and a Burger King poster of the Jackson 5 on another wall.



I played "Lucy" in a Charlie Brown play in 3rd grade. I had to dig deep to get into a an annoying, loud-mouthed, boy-crushing girl like "Lucy".

1 comments:

Karen Mello Burton said...

:) So fun to learn more about you.