12/01/2009

Oh Holy Christmas Songs



I'm usually not listening to Christmas music until December 25th at noon. However, this year I've been in the Christmas spirit since mid November. Thankfully, our materialistic society supplies ample Christmas coverage beginning in October, so I can tune to 100.3 or 106.5 on the Easy-listening dial and have all of my needs met.




By leaps and bounds my favorite is "Oh Holy Night", especially the Josh Groban version because I can sing in whatever octaves he's singing in at high decibals. However, there are a few Christmas songs that I could do without.




First of all, who invited a drumming child to the birth of a baby? I'll bet my life that Mary gave at the very least a stern look to those kings. You know how in other countries animals say different things than they do in the states? For example in Lithuanian a cow says "wuuahh" instead of "moo". I wonder what english speaker made, "per um puh pum pum" the sound of a drum? Must have been ESL.




WATCH OUT! "Logs on the fire fill me with desire..."?? I had to watch the Karen Carpenter story at South Cache Junior High at least 7 times. As if I'd miss a meal? Anywho, that's gross. That's not the Christmas spirit I was going for. I guess in the 70's that was the vibe. I bet there was many a child born September-October, 1971 thanks to those logs.




Finally, it boggles my mind that "Last Christmas" by George Michael is such an enormous hit with retailers. I don't even recall hearing a different celebratory song on Black Friday and I was in Game Stop for two hours standing in line while one of two clerks tested a Wii trade-in.

1 comments:

The Bischoff's said...

Brandy, you crack me up!! I love reading your blog! And I feel ya on some of the crazy songs!! Ü